Thursday, January 27, 2011

DHA supplements for pregnancy and beyond

In my book, I talk about the fact that women should be getting 300 mg of DHA during pregnancy and 220 mg otherwise. The only food source of this essential fat that supports brain funtion and development is fish, which is well known to contain mercury. The quickest and safest way to get your daily amount of DHA is to take a supplement. I took the Deva brand algae-based DHA supplement for more than 2 years, during pregnancy and for the first year of breastfeeding, which contains 200 mg in a capsule. Now that I'm getting lots of ALA in my diet, which coverts to DHA, and my one-year-old isn't breastfeeding as much, I recently switched to the Blue Bonnet brand of algae-based DHA, which has less of the healthy fat - 100 mg in a cap. I also switched because I could find Blue Bonnet at my local healthfood store, and save on shipping costs.

Now that I have children, the obviously translation of this habit I have formed since pregnancy of taking a daily DHA supplement is to make sure that my boys are getting their DHA too. I 'm psyched about discovering this liquid form of DHA manufactured by Deva. My 4-year-old has rejected every other type of nutrient supplement, including the fool-proof gummy multivitamins for kids. Now, I put seven drops of the liquid DHA into PB&J sandwich every day, which gives him the 100 mg he needs to be getting. It's a life-saver!

No comments:

Post a Comment