I'm being presented with the quagimire of many new mothers: my one and a half year old is a picky eater; he will gobble something up one day, then toss it on the floor while laughing mockingly the next.
And my food challenges are more difficult than average since I am raising my boys on a vegetarian diet, not to mention the fact that said baby is allergic to all dairy, which means that he is essentially vegan. I recently stopped breast feeding him, so I am more concerned that ever that he is getting the nutrients he needs on a daily basis.
To add to my food feeding ails, Mr. Baby will not eat vegetables; this poses a yet even more difficulty for a vegan child. A mother recently recommended that I added pureed spinich to tomato sauce. I know about the pureed thing, yet, for whatever reason, had not tried this combo yet. So I went to work ASAP creating a pasta sauce that's as easy as possible to make, since I usually find myself rushing through the cooking process. I came up with this hearty, high protein topping for the pasta of your choosing that both baby and carnivorous daddy ate to the last bite.
16 ounces organic tomato sauce, home-made or store bought
1 container (8 ounces) ground seitan (wheat gluten) or 1/2 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP), soaked in water
1/2 cup soy milk
2 cups spinach, washed or prewashed, blanched then pureed with 1/4 cup water
3 gloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup grated cow's milk cheese, soy cheese, or vegan cheese (optional)
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and cook at medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Pile a top the pasta of your choice and eat till you're stuffed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment